Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tuesdays

Back in August, I had decided to not do a Bible Study on Tuesdays.  It would be me and Katie time while the two big kids were at their classes.  Sitting in an all-women's event at church one Sunday morning, not long after this decision, I heard what our women's Bible Study was going to be all about.  It looked great, but mentally I thought, no, it will just be a me and Katie day.  Well, the Holy Spirit kept tugging (you know the one I am talking about) and before the hour was up I knew that this is what I needed to do.  If I had known what my Tuesdays would look like once I started Bible Study, I might have thought twice about it. (Just kidding, really.  I knew this is where I was supposed to be)  Let's discuss my Tuesdays, shall we?

First week - I went in with my lesson "How to Disciple Others" completed!!  I left wondering what I was going to do with Katie the rest of the weeks while I was in Bible Study.  There had been some miscommunication regarding childcare for homeschool kids and there weren't really enough to do much with.  Totally took my thoughts for the rest of the day and made me frustrated.  I knew the Lord wanted me there, and I knew He would figure it out, but it bugged me like a nasty wound all day.  I had a difficult time turning it over to the Lord.  Maybe I was extra hormonal or something.  Either way, I finally got over it.  And my sweet mom felt like she needed to be the one to keep Katie (instead of her tagging along with me each week to sit and do school work, while I did Bible Study).  So more often than not, the two of them have a sweet time together. 
If I hadn't been there that first day I would have missed this: The definition of a disciple - A committed, lifelong learner, and follower of Jesus Christ.

Second week- This week my Tuesday wasn't as bad as my Wednesday.  Which the afternoon and evening were spent with me in the ER with what was now a thryoid related heart thing.  All is fine, but that certainly took my mind off of what I was learning and kept jumping back to that.  How quickly our mind goes from one thing to another.
If I hadn't been there that week I wouldn't have memorized this scripture: John 5:24- Truly, truly I say to you, he who hears My Word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgement, but has passed out of death into life.

Third week - Remember that mind thing - how quickly our mind can get taken over my something else?  Just as Bible Study was ending on this Tuesday,  I received a phone call that so suddenly seized my thoughts and emotions I was useless for the rest of the day.  Not only was my mind wandering from my Christ, but my life and tasks ahead. 
This is what I forgot for the rest of that day- Galatians 5:15-17 - Therefore, be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.  So then, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

Fourth week- Gratefully, another Tuesday that was spared.  But the Monday and Wednesday certainly made up for it.  David had been out of town, I was exhausted, the kids were rotten, then I started feeling bad on Wednesday.  Uggh.  Two very, very long days. 
What I learned at Bible Study that I practiced the rest of the week - Spiritual Breathing - Exhaling our sins and confessing them, but the Inhaling, breathing in the Holy Spirit to let Him take control again.  Did my life those days look like the life of a Spirit-filled Christian?

Fifth week - Ha, gotta love this one.  Because I had been recaulking our shower, I had to take mine in the hall bath, later in the morning so not to wake others up.  A little before 7, I knew Katie was up, so I quietly told her I was hopping in the shower.  Just as I was getting in, she started to come in.  As quietly as I could over the noise of the shower so not to wake up Jake, I told her not to come in but to go to my bathroom.  Repeat.  I hop in and had only washed my face when Katie says loudly she had a nosebleed.  Of course I holler at her to come in.  I look and she is covered, I mean covered, with blood.  Apparantly she sneezed and her nose exploded.  For the next little bit, I wrestle my towel, trying to get her nose to stop bleeding, trying to keep her from looking in the mirror so she will quit screaming, wondering how much blood is from here to my bathroom.  All before 7 am.  Then it hits me.  Oh, yeah, it's Tuesday.  My mom had a minute so between the two of us, the carpet, clothes, towels, tile got clean.  I got my second shower.  A lunch was fixed (the one day I had to help).  It took both of us to have it all done by 8:30. 
If I hadn't been at Bible Study - I wouldn't have had the sweet fellowship of my group as we ate lunch together and heard great teaching on growing in Christ, and how fellowship is a part of that.  "The physical presence of other Christians is a source of incomparable joy and strength to the believer"- Bonhoffer.

This week- This week my mom was unable to keep Katie due to a previous commitment.  I decided she and I need some girlie time.  I didn't go to Bible Study, but took some much needed time finishing some quick schoolwork, then watching a movie with popcorn and having cookies with icing before we ate our lunch.  Then she proceeded to beat me twice in Sequence.  Yes, I missed some great teaching, but I got fed in another way.  By the way, the day went smoothingly well.  No issues, no catastrophies, no health issues.  That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
But, because of Bible Study (I did do my lesson!), I had some great days learning about different ways to have a quiet time.  Some sweet times with the Lord.

Thankfully, in a selfish kinda way, there are only a few weeks left of this semester of Bible Study.  He is teaching me so much, and He is certainly putting me through some drills to make sure I get it down.

Only 5 more days until I get to do it again.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment