Friday, November 12, 2010

Re-do - The Gift That Keeps on Giving

(Earlier today I posted about this, but after I thought about it I felt like in my effort to be funny, I came across too saracastic and not communicating what I truly felt.  If you read it, read this one and ignore the first.  But here is my repost)

This is my man.  

David and a buck from a few years ago
 My man celebrated his 40th birthday this summer. When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he asked for the extra flexibility to hunt this year in Iowa.  I really wanted him to be able to enjoy himself so I said sure.  No problem.  And I meant it.  Hunting is what brings him great joy, so what better gift could I give.  He wanted to be able to take a 4-5 day hunt right at the best time, with the best weather (This hunting thing isn't really something you can plan.).  Then have the option to take another 3-4 day hunt if they didn't take their bucks the first time, and with the flexibility to go when the weather and timing worked.  So I said, Happy Birthday, Honey!!

Well, last Thursday he and his two buddies left at 2:45am for their big first hunt.  All of us (wives and kids included) were wishing that those big bucks they had been eyeing all year (and the year before that and the year before that) would make their appearance within shooting range.  They hunted. And they hunted.  And they hunted.  All the way through  Monday morning.  No luck.  David had alot of fun, but no deer. 

So they arrive home late on Monday night.  David and I are catching up, and you know that birthday wish?  The one with the flexibility?   The conversation went something like this - "Since we didn't kill our big bucks, I would really like to go back.  Soon."  How soon, I ask.  "Ummm, the weather looks good starting on Friday."  Three days home, then back out again. 

My heart felt full and I really wanted this for him, so David cashed in his hunting gift card birthday present.  Off he goes again with high hopes of killing the big one this time.  They know he is there.  But will he show himself.  In shooting range.  That is the question.

Is it worth it you may ask?  Well, David and his buddy left early this morning to try and make it before dark to get a hunt in this evening.  He just sent me a text and this is what it said -"Headed in to the stand now, in freezing cold rain....having a blast!" 

So so worth it!

Especially since my 40th is coming up here soon.   David joked that he wished mine had been first, because he knows what is coming.  I have a feeling my 40th is going to be a great day, month, year!!





No comments:

Post a Comment