Thursday, September 9, 2010

Technology

Oh, the joys of technology.  Well, I guess so...maybe...gotta think on that one a bit.  Honestly, and some of may actually gasp out loud, I find that technology is more of a burden to me than it is a help.  Maybe it is my age that makes it a burden.  My kids seem to catch on quickly enough.  So, I don't know what it is, but I do know it makes my life more complicated.  How can the be, you ask?  Let me explain.

Instead of sitting down and writing a note, I type an email.  Since I can type faster than I can write, I write more.  Then the computer decides it doesn't like my email.  It shuts down, crashes, whatever and my email is lost.  So is my time.  The mailman will always be there.   Computers can be ornary.

Our computer crashed several weeks ago and we got our new one yesterday.  So instead of doing fun things like cleaning my shower or doing laundry, I get to figure out where all my pictures went and how to download programs we thought were on it and are not.  See, I have better things to be doing.

I like the feel of a good book in my hand.  I do not like holding metal while I read.  Therefore I do not want a Kindle.  What would you do if that thing crashed right at the last chapter?  Or if it decided to not turn the page right as the killer was being identified ...on the next page.  No, I'll keep my paper thank you.

What about encyclopedias and afternoons at the library doing research in reference books that can't be checked out?  There is great value in that don't ya' think.  It seems way too easy for my kids to do research and look up words in the ipod dictionary app. 

And then there's facebook and blogs.  They just pull you in to no avail.  It seems like we can't even think about life before we had instant access to each other's lives.  Don't get me wrong, I love those things (many times too much).  But it has to be managed.  Thought about.  Decided upon whether if now is a good time to quickly check up on things.  Complicated.

Cell Phones: the ever present connection to everything.   Can't say that this is a good thing.  What about just being, sitting, enjoying a glass of sweet tea on the porch.  Of course, the phone is a choice and can be turned off.  But then, it is waiting when you turn it back on.  Voicemails, emails, texts.  Now, I am not bashing cell phones.  I see the advantage in them.  That's why we have them (so I can safely run away from home and still be able to handle issues that come up).   :)

Do you see the complicated-ness of all of this?  Maybe you do, maybe you don't.  But secretly in my mind, I hope for that long awaited solar flare to hit and fry all of this stuff and we will be back to square one.  Isn't that awful?  Just in case, I have made sure my kids know how to look up words in the dictionary (still working on the encyclopedia thing), know how to exercise without the wii, and now how to hand wash dishes just in case those dishwasher push buttons break.   For me, I am old enough to remember life before all of this stuff.   It was nice. :)

So, now our new computer is almost functional.  So now I can blog again.  To avoid my favorite activities of housecleaning and grading papers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment